I am SO excited to host NOT A DROP TO DRINK by Mindy McGinnis as our Book of the Month for November. Not a Drop to Drink is such an amazing book, and I encourage all of you to read it! Read below for a special guest post from Mindy McGinnis [=
I’m a YA librarian and author, represented by Adriann Ranta of Wolf Literary. My YA debut, NOT A DROP TO DRINK, is a survival tale set in a world with limited fresh water. It will be available from Katherine Tegen / Harper Collins, September 24, 2013.
I’m an avid blogger, posting six days a week to my personal blog, Writer, Writer Pants on Fire, which features interviews with agents, established authors, and debut authors. Learn how they landed their agents, what the submission process is really like, and how it feels when you see your cover for the first time. I also do query critiques every Saturday on the Saturday Slash for those who are brave enough to volunteer.
I also contribute to the group blogs From the Write Angle, Book Pregnant, Friday the Thirteeners, The Lucky 13s, The League of Extraordinary Writers and am a member of the Class of 2k13
TEN THINGS YOU DIDN’T KNOW ABOUT MINDY MCGINNIS
It’s always so hard for me to write posts sharing things about myself that no one really knows, and it’s not because I’m shy or private. It’s because I talk so much it’s pretty hard to come up with 10 things that I haven’t already told the world.
But I’ll try…
1) I have extremely fat thumb pads. I mean, obese. The rest of me is in good shape but I text with my index finger because my thumb pad covers four or five letters at once.
2) I made the trailer for NOT A DROP TO DRINK myself!
3) I think I have really pretty feet. It’s one of those odd things about myself that I really like, and nobody ever comments on. I’m like, “Come on, people!! Look at my feet!!!”
4) If I’m thinking really hard about something I chew my knuckles. This is one my less attractive qualities.
5) At one point in my life I’d had in the same pair of earrings for ten years. One fell out, and I don’t even know how long I was wearing one earring before I noticed. I took out the other one, completely forgot to put another pair back in, and now they’ve grown shut. Probably for the best.
6) Because I majored in Religion in college I used to be able to write and speak Koine Greek fairly fluently. Alas, lack of practice has
made most of it slip away. I do remember how to say, “I am evil,” and “there’s a fish in the boat.”
7) I was on stage once with Colin Mochrie and Brad Sherwood of Whose Line for the sound effects game when they were touring together. I was Brad’s sound effects and he thought he would trip me up by including a belch in the skit. He had no idea – I ripped one and he about fell over. To this day the fact that I made Brad Sherwood laugh is one of my greater accomplishments.
8) My hair is extremely thick and falls out like crazy. I’m a worse shedder than any pet you’ve had.
9) I try to work out three times a week, but sometimes I only hit two. I do weights and cardio. I tend to get really hyper focused when I’m lifting, so I’ve started counting my reps in a different language so that I can be using two different parts of my brain at the same time. It’s good exercise all around.
10) I play piano! I have fallen out of practice and I’ve never been any good at composing, but I was a decent sight reader at one time.