Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Every Thanksgiving is very simple at my house. This year it’s just me and my mom…and then later with my dad and grandpa. We usually celebrate with tons of food, and (of course!) football. Lots and lots of football. But one thing that has always been a tradition for both Thanksgiving and Christmas is that my mom and I will always go see a movie. I actually know what both of those movies are already, too. This weekend we are going to go watch Black Nativity with Jennifer Hudson, and on Christmas we are going to go watch Tyler Perry’s A Madea Christmas. I’m the biggest Tyler Perry fan.
Last weekend we went and watched Catching Fire. And since my family celebrates holidays with a movie, I thought that I would share my thoughts of Catching Fire with all of you. And who knows? Maybe you’ll make a new tradition this Thanksgiving and go watch it. Or…you can go watch Black Nativity and tell me all your thoughts!
I was nervous about Catching Fire. I really was. Hunger Games was good…but not great. It left a lot out from the book. I thought that this one would be pretty similar. And then I started to hear the reviews. And I did not hear one bad thing. In fact, I had two people tell me that Catching Fire was ten times better than the first movie. One person who didn’t even like the first movie loved Catching Fire. And when I reached the theaters, the ticket holder went on for about 10 minutes telling me how awesome this movie was.
And my thoughts? They were 100% correct.
What I liked:
1: Finnick. Oh. My. Goodness. HE WAS PERFECT.
2. The beginning. I hated the first half of Catching Fire (book.) I thought that they did a fabulous job in the movie.
3. Johanna. Holy smokes. She was probably the best character in the whole damn movie.
4. Every single cast member. My only complaint is that some of the districts had really small roles. It’s been a long time since I’ve read the books, but I thought that the scarier tributes had a slightly bigger role than they played in the movie.
5. The action. If you’ve read the book recently, then you might be able to pinpoint things that weren’t accurate. It’s been at least 2 years since I’ve read Catching Fire. I wasn’t even blogging when I read the series. So, I wasn’t able to pinpoint those moments. That being said, I loved all the action. There was one scene where I jumped like 5 feet high. Scared the shit out of me.
6. The emotion. The first movie pissed me off, because I should have cried. Especially during Rue’s scene. I was having to lock up my throat to keep from bawling like a baby. There were a few scenes that really got to me.
What I didn’t like:
The ONLY thing that bugged me was the final scene with Cinna. I do not remember that happening in book 2. I thought that it was vaguely mentioned in book 3. Now, my mom remembered that happening in book 2…so I don’t know. I’m really confused over that scene.
I also didn’t like how Finnick’s girlfriend (I forgot her name) had a very brief role. Maybe that’s because I’m mixing book 2 and 3 together? I wish that they would have shown her for more than 5 seconds. She was only in one brief scene.
My final complaint really isn’t a complaint. I just kind of wish that we would have seen more of District 13 at the end. But I really did like the ending.
Overall? 10 out of 5 stars. I LOVED IT. Best movie adaptation I have ever seen. Not counting Lord of the Rings…I haven’t read those books!
What did you think of Catching Fire? Let me know in the comments section!