Author: L.B. Simmons
Release Date: April 25, 2017
Publisher: Spencer Hill Contemporary
Goodreads link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/32171373-into-the-light
As she enters her first year of college, her goal is simple: earn a degree with the least amount of social interaction as possible. What she never anticipates is the formation of very unlikely relationships with two people who will change her life in ways she never believed possible: Quinn Matthews, the overtly cheerful pageant queen, and Kaeleb McMadden, a childhood friend who never really let her go.
Over the years, as their connections intertwine and strengthen, a seemingly indestructible bond is formed between the three. And eventually, the ties of friendship and discovery of first love begin to coax her from her darkened path as they slowly bring Aubrey back to life.
Spanning the course of four years, this is the story of a young woman’s plight to finally reemerge,finding strength within unbreakable bonds as she delivers herself from her own manufactured darkness and safely back . . . Into the Light.
After graduating from Texas A&M University, L.B. Simmons did what any biomedical science major could do. She entered the workforce as a full-time chemist. Years later, never in her wildest dreams would she have imagined herself a USA Today Bestselling contemporary romance author as well.
L.B. Simmons doesn’t just write books. With each new work, she attempts to compose journeys of love and self-discovery so she may impart life lessons to readers. Several novels later, she’s tackled suicide, depression, bullying, eating disorders, as well as physical and sexual abuse, all the while weaving elements of humor into the storylines in effort to balance the difficult topics. Often described as roller coaster rides, her novels are known for eliciting a wide range of emotions in each story she tells.
Author Social Media Links:
Top Ten Favorite Quotes from Into the Light (In no particular order)
- ”I refuse to reinforce your ridiculous theory that you are some winged bringer of death to all who come across your path.”
- “The simplicity of living astounds me. But it’s the terror of death that devours me.”
- “I learned a long time ago to never judge a book by its cover. It seems what people try to represent on the outside very rarely mirrors their inside. Beautiful people tend to be ugly, ugly people tend to be beautiful, storms tend to brew below a person’s cool, calm exterior, and tremendously happy people tend to be overcompensating for their own grief. Nothing is ever really what it seems.”
- “You’d be the exception, you know. With you, it would be real, not an escape.”
- “Sunshine, you need to get lost? Come to me. I’ll take you to places you never knew existed.”
- “As long as you continue to travel through life in this darkness, you will never know how beautiful your light truly shines when you allow yourself to love and be loved. Trust me, it’s a breathtaking sight to see. You burn as bright as the sun.”
- “Every being impacts at least one person they encounter during their lifetime. You can change someone’s life with a kind word, a hateful one, or by choosing not to say anything at all. Every choice you make creates a ripple effect, trickling into and affecting the lives of others.”
- “Sometimes it’s impossible for mere words to encompass how you feel about someone. There’s nothing you could possibly say to emulate that person’s presence in your life. It’s an overwhelming, indescribable feeling that consumes your heart and captivates your soul. It simply just is.”
- “There you are.”
- “Be thankful for each day you’re granted on this earth. Form friendships. Find love. Feel passion. Embrace destiny. Your destiny.”
Read below for an excerpt from Into the Light:
“My name is Aubrey Miller, or Raven Miller, depending on what part of my life I’m referencing, and this is my story.
“I’m not going to bore you with every single detail, not yet anyway. All you need to know at this point is that my life had been a dark, endless abyss of death. It followed me around like I was some sort of knockoff, subpar Grim Reaper. My overwhelming guilt in each death reigned over my life; many of those days consisted of just trying to keep my head above my consuming grief.
“But that is neither here nor there. What is relevant for you to understand is that this is my story—my fight to emerge from underneath the shroud of death that I was fearfully hiding behind for so many years. And it happened over the course of four years, my college years.
“Those years, while for most are defined by constant partying and keg stands, with an occasional random hookup—more than occasional for some people—for me were just pitiful reminders of my lack of social skills and personal grace. In the beginning. By the end, I had acquired lifelong friends who helped guide me through some of the darkest parts of my life. In them I found the strength to lay to rest the person who walked onto campus that very first day, the one cloaked in death and darkness, and become the person speaking to you today.
“I am here to finally share my story.
“A story of discovering not only myself but the meaning of true friendship and unconditional love. A story of some of the most challenging, yet most beautiful and awe-inspiring years of my life, in hopes that you will take something away from my journey.
“After all, when life gives you lemons, aren’t you supposed to make lemonade or some shit like that?
“Wait. What? I can’t say that?
“Oops. Sorry about that, folks.
“Anyway, back to why we’re here.
“So without further ado, here is my journey from darkness into the light . . . the story of my resurrection.”